Bach. of Mass Comm. (Hons.) in Public Relations (MC242)

Assalamuallaikum w.b.t and hello everyone!!

So basically, for this post, I'm gonna talk about my course which is Bach. of Mass Comm. (Hons.) in Public Relations (MC242) in UiTM Shah Alam :D Since some of you guys ask me, DM me and etc, I guess I should just write here. I don't see why not? For your information, today (1st August 2021) is the last day of my third Semester, Yipee!! (I seriously felt peace during this hectic semester T.T) Only 2 more semesters to go before my Internship :D

To be frank, what I could say on studying this course is that it is not that killer compared to the other sequence for Mass Comm. (Mass Comm. Degree have 9 Programmes). Yes, Public Relations is not as hectic as Broadcasting, Journalism or perhaps New Media Comm. because Public Relations focuses more on being a brand voice or an ambassador for certain companies or organisations. In other words, Public Relations is more to deal with the stakeholders.

Furthermore, please take note that the particular course is located in two places, which are UiTM Shah Alam and UiTM Alor Gajah. Mostly, UiTM Shah Alam is for those who are from Diploma in Comm. and Media Studies from UiTM itself. UiTM Alor Gajah is for those who are not from a particular background as they want to focus these students more as they are not exposed to Mass Comm. studies. Hence, the lecturer at Alor Gajah will polish you more about the studies through thick and thin.

But for my case, (if you have read my post 'Decisions') I was transferred from Alor Gajah to Shah Alam due to the lack of students in the main campus itself. I'm not saying lecturers from Shah Alam did not spoonfeed you, they did. It's just Shah Alam is for those who are from the particular background as mentioned above. But what I could conclude, I find that Shah Alam is much more convenient compare to Alor Gajah as there are tons of things you can find or do in Shah Alam compare to Alor Gajah.

Now, for the real deal and what's interesting. I bet all of you wondering what you will study for 3 years? Well, I listed the subjects here:

Year 1

Semester 1

CO-CURRICULUM I (but due to the global pandemic, I had to take this in my 2nd semester)

PHILOSOPHY AND CURRENT ISSUES

INTRODUCTION TO COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA STUDIES

NEWS WRITING AND REPORTING

COMMUNICATION THEORY

PRINCIPLES OF TRANSLATION

GRAPHIC & CREATIVE DESIGN

EFFECTIVE SPEAKING

Semester 2

CO-CURRICULUM II (Starting from Co-II and III you may able to choose else besides Kesatria)

ENGLISH FOR CRITICAL ACADEMIC READING

THIRD LANGUAGE I (You can choose either Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, German, French & Arabic)

SOCIOLOGY

MEDIA LAW, REGULATIONS AND ETHICS

PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC RELATIONS

PUBLIC RELATIONS WRITING 

DIGITAL PHOTO COMMUNICATION

Year 2

Semester 3

CO-CURRICULUM III

VALUES AND CIVILIZATION

ENGLISH FOR PROFESSIONAL INTERACTION

THIRD LANGUAGE II

MASS MEDIA AND SOCIETY

ASIAN  POLITICS

CORPORATE PUBLIC RELATIONS

DIGITAL STORYTELLING

Semester 4

THIRD LANGUAGE III

COMMUNICATION RESEARCH METHOD

QUANTITATIVE DATA ANALYSIS IN COMMUNICATION RESEARCH

 CORPORATE CREATIVE AND PRODUCTION

PUBLIC RELATIONS IN GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS

PUBLIC OPINION AND PROPAGANDA

VOICE  ENSEMBLE

Year 3

Semester 5

PRINCIPLES OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP 

CONSULTANCY PUBLIC RELATIONS

INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC RELATIONS 

CONTEMPORARY ISSUES IN PUBLIC RELATIONS

STRATEGIC FINANCIAL PUBLIC RELATIONS

Semester 6

ENGLISH EXIT TEST

INDEPENDENT STUDY

INTERNSHIP 


Yes, these are the subjects you will study per semester, and kindly be informed every year, they will keep on changing the study plan or the course outline to a new cohort. Meaning to say the subjects will be updated by each year. I'm sure you'll be okay with it once you enrol in Mass Comm. and major in Public Relations. Besides that, you will be able to work as a Public Relations Officer, Corporate Communicative Officer, Media Relations Officer in  Government or Private sectors in Malaysia, and most of my seniors highly suggested I to Intern in Private sectors as it is much more beneficial.

Also, these are the lists of the sequences in Mass Comm. (MC110 & MC111 is for Diploma Programs).

Despite my current situation in which I have to study through Online Distance Learning (ODL), I could say that I feel quite sad I did not have the chance to feel a class-lesson type of environment just like I did during my Diploma years. Hence, I knew I would become an Online Graduate, I just knew it. There's nothing really much I could do about it. I guess it is all that has been written by the Almighty.

In a nutshell, what I could conclude for today's post, I hope to the readers out there who wanted to pursue in Mass Comm. to never give up on your upcoming studies. Hopefully, during your time everything is back to normal. Normal classes, face-to-face discussion, and most importantly for being able to live in a University Life. I wish you all the best :D

Comments

  1. Hi sufyan. I have 2 questions to ask.
    1. Dari DEC to mass com in uitm, dapat credit transfer tak
    2. Which one is better, DEC vs Dip in mass com (mc110) jika ada plan nak sambung degree dlm EPC (uitm) atau translation degree (usm) atau mass com in public relations (uitm)
    Thank you 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      1. If I'm not mistaken tak dapat :( (but my friend yang sambung APB UiTM dapat credit transfer for third language)
      2. Okay, this one is very subjective. It depends on your goals actually. For me, venturing into DEC was a stepping stone for me to pursue in TESL. However, I found out DEC was more towards language studies, and not education. Therefore, I abolished my long lost dream to become an English teacher. But it's okay. It doesn't matter what courses you take, you eventually will end up doing what you love, and what you can easily achieve. For me, DEC have given me opportunity to enhance my skills and prepared to me to go for MassComm. (this also wasn't my 1st choice lol)

      In the end, it's you to decide which one do you think it's better for you. (but frankly if you are pursuing in MC110, you can easily transfer your credit if you want to pursue in MassComm)

      Wishing you all the best and make good choices okay!!

      Wishing

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts